Peaches, apricots, cherries, blackcurrants and pineapples with brandy are a great adult-only fruit dessert.
These brandied fruits can be enjoyed on their own or combined with another dessert. You can add nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 1 pineapple
- 500 g apricots (or peaches)
- 500 g sour cherries or black currants
- 250 g sugar
- 300 ml brandy (cognac)
- Peel the pineapple. Cut it in the middle and then cut into cubes.Cut the apricots in half and remove the pits. Cut the apricot halves into quarters.Pour in the cherries (I use cherries with pits).Put all the prepared fruits and berries in a large glass jar with a lid.Add the sugar.
- Pour in the brandy and close the lid.
- Leave to infuse for 21 days in a cool, dark place.Gently shake the jar twice a week.
- After 21 days, separate the fruit from the liquid. Drain and save the liquid which can be used as a starter to bake bread.Fruits and berries can be used as a dessert.Note: I have never tried making bread with it. We taste as it is: first the fruit then we drink the liquid!
Another delicious recipe from the cookbook “Delices d’Italie” by Loukie Werle.
Italian bell pepper salad
- 4 large bell peppers (of different colors)
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful of basil leaves chiseled
- 1 handful of mint leaves chiseled
- 1 Tbsp capers (rinsed)
- Salt and fresh pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat grill.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds and membranes.Place peppers on a broiler rack, skin side up
- Roast until the skin is blackened. Remove the peppers from the oven and put them in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Chop the garlic cloves. Chop the basil and mint leaves
- Remove the skin from the peppers and cut them into strips
- Put all the chopped ingredients in a serving bowl. Add the capers. Season with salt and pepper then drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for about one hour before serving.
This is very unique recipe. All you have to do is whisk all the ingredients together in the mixer bowl for 1-2 minutes, bake for 30 minutes and voilà, you can enjoy the cake with your favorite cup of tea.
Quick Almond Cake
- 190 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100 g unsalted butter softened
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g almond flour
- 60 g all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 tsp confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Grease a cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk all the ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan. You can sprinkle with almonds if desire.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove your cake from the oven and allow it to cool. Transfer to a plater. Dust it with powdered sugar before serving.
You are missing out if you haven’t made this incredible snack from ripe avocados. Anybody can make it, even my 7 year old makes it when she comes home from school. This is her favorite way to eat avocado. Split it in half and fill the center stone hole with some balsamic vinegar. Enjoy this healthy, delicious snack or appetizer.
Avocado boats with balsamic vinegar
- 3 avocados
- salt and freshly ground pepper optional
- 6 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, remove pits but do not peel them. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar in each hole, and serve.
You can find shishito peppers in your favorite grocery store. Prepare this super quick recipe in no time and your guests will love this delicious appetizer.
Did you know that 1 in 10 shishito peppers are really spicy?
Appetizer Shishito peppers
- 6 oz Shishito peppers
- a bit of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a saute pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shishito peppers and stir for 1-2 minutes, heating them up until they blister. Add salt and black pepper.
- Place the peppers on a paper towel to remove excess oil and serve.
This fantastic watermelon salad with cucumbers, feta cheese and onion is perfect for spring and summer. Sweet, savory and delicious salad or side dish will look gorgeous for your next BBQ party.
Watermelon and Cucumber salad with Feta
- 1/2 watermelon (or 1 small watermelon ) peeled and cubed
- 1 english cucumber cubed
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 200 g feta cheese cubed
- 1/2 bunch of Fresh mint minced
- 1/2 lemon (juice only)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, gently toss all cut ingredients, drizzle with lemon juice and season with pepper. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.