You can find shishito peppers in your favorite grocery store. Prepare this super quick recipe in no time and your guests will love this delicious appetizer.
Did you know that 1 in 10 shishito peppers are really spicy?
Appetizer Shishito peppers
- 6 oz Shishito peppers
- a bit of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a saute pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shishito peppers and stir for 1-2 minutes, heating them up until they blister. Add salt and black pepper.
- Place the peppers on a paper towel to remove excess oil and serve.
One of my husband’s favorite food is draniki. Russian style potato pancakes. Perfect for breakfast or branch. I’ve seen draniki recipes that use mashed potato also, but I personally prefer my potato to be coarsely grated, because then you have more crispy ends. Traditionally draniki are served with sour cream, but you can also serve them with ketchup or cottage cheese.
Potato Pancakes (Draniki)
- 6 medium potatoes washed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 50 ml buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil (plus extra)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- fresh herbs (optional)
- Peel and grate potatoes. Squeeze grated potatoes with hands, extracting as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl beet eggs, baking soda and buttermilk, add grated potatoes, salt, pepper and flour, mix well.
- In a large iron skillet heat the olive oil until hot. Place the tablespoons of batter in the pan and flatten with spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until the bottom is golden brown.Turn over and cook on the other side.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve them hot with sour cream.
Fried cabbage with sausage is so simple but tasty, and the leftovers are tastier than it was the first day. When it comes to sausage, you can’t go wrong with this one. You can use any sausage you like: it can be Italian sausage, Polska kielbasa, smoked sausage, turkey or chicken sausages. Any of them will give a great taste to cabbage. My favorite is Frankfurter sausage.
Fried cabbage with sausage
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 2 carrots large
- 1 onion large
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 sausages
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut the cabbage into thick slices.
- Dice onion into the small squares, shred the carrots.
- Slice the sausages.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until lightly brown.
- Add shredded carrots and continue cooking for couple more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cabbage and stir well.
- In a few minutes add sausage. Bury the sausages under the cabbage, to get the brown color.
- When the sausages are lightly brown, add salt and pepper, bay leaf, and some water (about 100 ml), mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet with lid and simmer for about 10 minutes. Mix every 2-3 minutes.
- Once cooked, add fresh herbs and serve.