Apple Sharlotka cake is one of the most popular desserts that each Russian kid will remember from their childhood. The recipe is so simple that you don’t even need to write it down. It will be very easy to remember once you’ve made it: 3 apples, 3 eggs, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of flour. That’s it, enjoy!
Russian Apple Cake Sharlotka
- 3 big apples (sour)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Grease and flour a round cake pan or line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Wash, peel and dice apples into 1-inch pieces. Lay out the diced apples on the bottom of the pan.
- Using a mixer beat eggs with sugar, until its two times in volume. Using a spatula carefully fold in sifted flour. Pour the batter over the apples.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until а toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Once the cake cools off a little, transfer to plate.
- Dust it with powdered sugar before serving.
My version of Normandy Apple Pie, with calvados and sour cream, of course.
Check out my other recipes with puff pastry.
Normandy Apple Pie
- 1 sheet all butter puff pastry
- 4-5 apples Granny Smith
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp Calvados
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup almond powder
- 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tsp sugar powdered
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Thaw one sheet of puff pastry until room temperature. Roll the pastry dough into circle and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Peel the apples and cut them in half through the stem. Remove the stems and slice the apples cross wide in very thin slices. Add lemon juice.
- Arrange the apples slices in an overlapping spiral pattern.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs with sugar. Add calvados, sour cream and almond powder, mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the apples.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds and keep baking for 30 more minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan. Transfer to serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
You don’t have to be a famous chef or spend days in your kitchen to make a delicious dessert. You can make this amazing, stress-free chocolate tart in no time, especially when using a ready to bake pie crust. The hardest part is to wait for chocolate to firm up, then you can finally try a piece…. or two 🙂
Stunning French Chocolate Tart
- 1 sheet ready to bake pie crust
- 360 ml heavy cream
- 300 g dark chocolate (60-70% cacao)
- For easy removal, grease the bottom of the tart pan with butter or line the bottom with parchment paper. Roll the dough out, transfer to the tart pan, trim the excess dough and prick all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the tart in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside on the serving plate.
- Meanwhile, bring the heavy cream to a boil, then pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. Stir gently until the mixture becomes smooth and dark.
- Pour chocolate ganache into crust to the top. Cool completely. If you made this dessert during the hot summer, it will be the best to refrigerate it. If it’s not too hot in your kitchen, let it stand on the counter top at room temperature.
You will love this walnut cake with plums.
“All prunes are plums, but not all plums are prunes. When dried, plums are called prunes, but the prune fruit comes from a different type of plant than plums.”
Whatever you call them, they’re the best combination with walnuts! 🙂
Walnut Cake with Plums
- 240 g softened butter
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 g sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 160 g ground walnuts
- 6-12 pieces pitted dried plums (cut into 2-4pieces)
- 8-10 halves walnuts
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Generously butter a skillet.
- In a medium bowl combine butter and sugar together and beat until creamy.
- Add eggs, flour, baking powder and mix until the batter is smooth. Add ground walnuts and mix.
- Scrape the batter into the skillet and smooth the top with spoon. Lay slices of plums and walnuts halves on top of your cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. (Check often last 5-10 minutes).