Make a Salmon Terrine with fresh and smoked salmon, eggs, sour cream, and parsley. This elegant french recipe is a refined and delicious appetizer and it is perfect for cold buffets. Serve the terrine with mayonnaise, vegetables, or a green salad.
- 500 g salmon fillet with no skin or bones
- 5 eggs
- 250 г sour cream
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 250 g smoked salmon cut into small pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 390° F (180°C). Grease a loaf pan using cooking oil.
- Cut the fresh salmon into pieces and mix with a food processor.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the sour cream and parsley.
- Add the smoked salmon, salt and pepper. Mix with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the salmon terrine to cool before removing it from the pan. Serve the dish chilled.
This King Cake (Galette des Rois) is a very popular French pie. It celebrates the holiday of Epiphany, the day when 3 wise men came bearing gifts for newborn Jesus. The traditional way to bake this king cake is to place a porcelain figurine, a charm or “fève” into the center of the galette. The person who receives the slice with the charm is “King of the Day”. The lucky winner gets to wear a (paper) crown for the rest of the day!
King Cake (Galette des Rois)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) softened butter
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100 g) almond flour
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 Tbsp rum (optional)
- 2 sheets ready-to-use puff pastry ( Puff Pastry Sheets)
- 1 egg yolk
- Beat the softened butter and sugar together, then beat in the eggs. Stir in the almond powder. Add vanilla, rum and set it aside.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry. Poke holes with fork.
- Spread the almond filling over the center of the dough, leaving a 1 inch (1.2 cm) exposed border. If you wish, place a little porcelain figurine “fève” somewhere in the almond filling.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with water and cover with another circle of dough on top and press down to seal the edges.
- Use a paring knife to create a design on top of your galette, then brush with beaten yolk. Poke 3-5 holes in the top, to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. (Bake on the bottom rack of the oven).