One of my husband’s favorite food is draniki. Russian style potato pancakes. Perfect for breakfast or branch. I’ve seen draniki recipes that use mashed potato also, but I personally prefer my potato to be coarsely grated, because then you have more crispy ends. Traditionally draniki are served with sour cream, but you can also serve them with ketchup or cottage cheese.
Potato Pancakes (Draniki)
- 6 medium potatoes washed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 50 ml buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil (plus extra)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- fresh herbs (optional)
- Peel and grate potatoes. Squeeze grated potatoes with hands, extracting as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl beet eggs, baking soda and buttermilk, add grated potatoes, salt, pepper and flour, mix well.
- In a large iron skillet heat the olive oil until hot. Place the tablespoons of batter in the pan and flatten with spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until the bottom is golden brown.Turn over and cook on the other side.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve them hot with sour cream.
Absolutely love these Homemade Egg Noodles! My sisters and I used to make them together when we were growing up. They are fabulous with chicken stock, or homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
Homemade Egg Noodles
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (more flour for rolling)
- Use a fork to beat the eggs, until smooth. Add salt and buttermilk and whisk. Stir in flour, one spoon at a time, until the dough come together in a ball.
- Flour a flat surface and roll the dough out.
- Once the dough reaches 1/4 inches thickness, use a sharp knife or pizza cutting wheel to cut the dough. You can cut them as wide or narrow as you like, but cut them as evenly as possible ensure uniform cooking time.
- Dust with a little flour and spread to dry.
- Let the noodles dry for 2-3 hours.
- Cook in 3 quarts boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and serve with butter.