This cabbage and carrot slaw is simple, healthy and nutritious. It is super easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. A perfect side dish to literally anything.
Cabbage and carrot slaw
- 1 medium-sized cabbage head
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4-5 Tbsp 5% white vinegar
- 4-5 Tbsp olive oil
- fresh herbs (dill, parsley, green onion)
- Cut the cabbage in half and peel of a few of the thin outer layers. Cut each half into quarters, then cut out the tough core in the middle. Slice each quarter crosswise into thin shreds. Add salt and squeeze the shredded cabbage with your hands.
- Peel the carrots and shred them.
- Transfer the shredded carrots and cabbage into the mixing bowl. Add sugar, white vinegar and olive oil. Gently toss everything together. Taste and add some more salt if needed. Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
Borscht is a traditional Russian and Ukrainian hot soup that is made with beef, beets and cabbage. It is popular in many Eastern European countries, and each country has its own recipe. This recipe is how my grandma used to cook.
Check my other soups on this website!
Beets and beef borscht
- 1 1/2 pound slice of bone-in beef shank (with a lot of meat)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 cups water cold
- 3 medium potatoes peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- 3 medium beets peeled and shredded
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 300 gr cabbage (about 1/2 small cabbage) shredded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- In the large pot, add the beef, one bay leaf, 2 teaspoons of salt and cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Carefully remove the scum with a slotted spoon, or you can strain it and then start fresh with clean meat and clean water. Bring it to a boil one more time, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 50 minutes.
- While your meat is cooking, get your veggies ready.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add grated carrots along with onion and sauté until nice and golden.
- Add beets and cook for 4 minutes stirring. Then stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the meat is ready, add potatoes. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add sliced cabbage into the stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in parsley and sugar.
- Taste the borscht for flavor. Feel free to add more salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, with sour cream and bread.
For my version of pickled cabbage, cabbage and carrots are marinated with vinegar. This is an easy recipe and ready to eat the next day!
- 3-4 lb cabbage
- 3-4 carrots
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup 6% vinegar
- Cut, core and shred cabbage finely.
- Peel the carrots and grate.
- Peel the garlic and cut each clove into 4 pieces.
- Place vegetables in a mason jar.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, boil water with salt, sugar and olive oil. Remove from the heat and add vinegar.
- Pour hot marinade over the cabbage and let it cool completely.
- Cover with tight lid and store it in the refrigerator. Cabbage will be ready in 12 hours.