Borscht is a traditional Russian and Ukrainian hot soup that is made with beef, beets and cabbage. It is popular in many Eastern European countries, and each country has its own recipe. This recipe is how my grandma used to cook.
Check my other soups on this website!
Beets and beef borscht
Traditionally, Russian borscht is prepared with beef, but you can make it with any meat you like.
- 1 1/2 pound slice of bone-in beef shank (with a lot of meat)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 cups water cold
- 3 medium potatoes peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- 3 medium beets peeled and shredded
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 300 gr cabbage (about 1/2 small cabbage) shredded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- In the large pot, add the beef, one bay leaf, 2 teaspoons of salt and cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Carefully remove the scum with a slotted spoon, or you can strain it and then start fresh with clean meat and clean water. Bring it to a boil one more time, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 50 minutes.
- While your meat is cooking, get your veggies ready.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add grated carrots along with onion and sauté until nice and golden.
- Add beets and cook for 4 minutes stirring. Then stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the meat is ready, add potatoes. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add sliced cabbage into the stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in parsley and sugar.
- Taste the borscht for flavor. Feel free to add more salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, with sour cream and bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!