Hachis Parmentier is a delicious French casserole made with layers of mashed potatoes and ground beef.
The dish is named after Antoine Parmentier (1737-1813). He was a French pharmacist who made potatoes popular in Paris and northern France.
- 1 kg large potatoes
- 100 g butter (50+30+20)
- 50 ml milk (heated)
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 500 g ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 30 g grated cheese
- Some seasonings or minced parsley (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into cubes. Boil in salted water until easily pricked with fork, about 20 minutes. Then drain water.
- Add 50 g of butter and mash. Add warmed milk and mash together to smooth consistency. Taste the puree, add more salt if needed.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Melt 30 g of butter in a large pan and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the pan off the fire and let cool down a little. Add a row egg.
- Process to finer texture by using a food processor, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 380F/190C. Grease baking dish.
- Add 1/2 of mashed potatoes in thin layer to the prepared dish. Then layer beef preparation on top of potatoes. You can also add your favorite seasonings at this point or some chopped parsley. (This time, I added paprika).
- Top with remaining potatoes. You can make some shapes on the top using the fork. Add remaining butter and dot on the potatoes. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes until the top is golden.
Bananas, nuts and chocolate… how can you go wrong? I made it with my 7 year old daughter this Saturday. She loves to help me with cooking. The Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread was absolutely delicious. I made 2 loafs, so we can have it for breakfast on Sunday.
If you are looking for gluten-free recipe, try our Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffins.
Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread
- 3 very ripe bananas peeled and mashed with fork
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature (plus more for the pan)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (any)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8×4 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mix thoroughly, then add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- If necessary, cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes, to prevent excess browning.
- Cool the bread in pan on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to wire racks to cool completely.