Makes about 50 petits choux
Choux pastry :
- 200 ml water or milk
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 2 pinches of salt
- 120 g of flour
- 3-4 eggs
- Fillings for pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g sugar
- 125 ml milk
- 1 tea spoon vanilla extract
- 200 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium pot add water or milk, butter and salt. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Add flour. and mix together with wooden spoon. Mix until the dough forms into a big ball and begins to come away from the saucepan.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix well.
- The dough should become smooth and shiny. Return saucepan back on to the heat and keep mixing for about 30 to 50 seconds to dry out the moisture.
- Pipe the desired shape on the baking sheet using a piping bag. The dough will rise a bit so make sure to spread them apart from each other.
- Bake in preheated oven ( 400°F) about 10 to 15 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for another 10 minutes or until the choux pastry shells are puffed up and golden brown. Do not open the oven while baking!
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Work the sugar with egg yolk.
- Add milk and bring to a boil on a low heat, mixing constantly. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Whip butter with mixer. Gradually stir in milk mixture until blended.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip with the pastry cream. Make a hole in the choux pastry with round tip and pipe a small amount into the puffs. Dust them with confectioners sugar.