This is one of my favorite puff pastry for a “cafe gourmand“.
Cream Petits choux will go perfectly with your coffee or tea.
Ingredients for the choux pastry
- 200 ml water
- 100 g butter
- 2 pinches of salt
- 120 g flour
- 3-4 eggs
Ingredients for the cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 120 g sugar
- 125 ml milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean cut into two in its length
- 200 g softened butter
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
For the choux pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (thermostat 6/7). Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, put the butter and salt. Bring to a boil. When the butter is completely melted, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add flour and mix well.
- The dough should form a ball.
- Add the eggs one by one. Mix well.
- The dough should be smooth and not stick to the edges of the pan.
- Using a spoon or a pastry bag, form small heaps of dough on the baking sheet, separating them from each other as the puffs will double in size during cooking.
- Bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 180°C (thermostat 6) and cook for another 10 minutes or so until you get a nice golden color. Remove the puffs from the oven and let cool.
For the cream
- In a small saucepan, blanch the egg with the sugar.
- Add milk and vanilla. Place over very low heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Remove the vanilla pod.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter. While continuing to mix, gradually incorporate the milk and sugar preparation.
- Make an incision in the choux. Using a teaspoon or a pastry bag, fill them with the cream. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!