Green and unripe mangoes can be eaten, and are often delicious. For example, this salad with shredded green mangoes is very popular in French Guyana, and if you like spicy food, you will love this salad! Serve cold, as an appetizer or as a side dish with fish, shrimp, or meat. For a pretty presentation, I serve the Kalawang in individual plates with shrimps.
Green Mango Salade (Кalawang)
- 2 green mangoes (unripe)
- 1/2 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and pressed
- 1/2 chili pepper seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon (or lime) juice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Some fresh herbs (cilantro, green onion, parsley)
- 24 prawns (or shrimps) cooked and peeled
- Peel the mangoes with a peeling knife. Shred the pulp and discard the pit.
- In the salad bowl, toss the mangoes, onion, salt and pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice and oil. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, transfer the salad on to the serving plates, embellish with fresh herbs, and prawns.