Impress your holiday guests this year with crisp, delicious and full of juices roasted duck. This recipe is very simple and easy to make. The best way to serve it is with mashed potatoes.
Whole Roast Duck With Apples And Cranberry Stuffing
- 1 (2 kg, or more) duck
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 g butter (or 2 Tbsp olive oil)
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 apples Granny Smith
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Wash and pat dry duck with paper towels. Season inside and outside with salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Cut celery into thin slices.
- Peel, core and cut apples into small cubes.
- Heat olive oil or butter in a frying pan. Add onion and celery and sauté for 3-4 minutes until golden. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add apples and cranberries. Remove from the heat.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Stuff duck with prepared stuffing. Secure skin underneath with skewer or toothpicks.
- Rub the skin with olive oil and place it into the roasting pan with the breast side down. Roast for one hour.
- Baste all over every 15-20 minutes with juices from the bottom of the pan.
- Flip the duck over and continue to roast for another 20-30 minutes. Cover wings and legs with foil if it gets too brown.
- The duck is done if the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted in the thickest part of the leg. Remove from the oven and cover the duck with aluminum foil for at least 10 minutes.