This is the most traditional Russian salad we make for any holiday, and New Year’s Eve is the biggest holiday of all, when “Olivier” would be on all tables. What makes it more special is “leftovers”… You can eat it the next day and joke that the salad is from last year.
If you like it, try other salads from my cooking blog!
Potato salad (Russian salad)
- 4 large potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 7 hardboiled eggs
- 1 lb bologna
- 7 pickles
- 1/2 raw onion
- 1 can peas (14 oz)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes and carrots in a medium pot in their skins until tender. Do not overcook.
- Peel the vegetables and eggs.
- Cut the potatoes, carrots, bologna, eggs, pickles and onion into small 1/4 inch squares.
- Mix all the ingredients with mayonnaise, salt and black pepper. Chill salad before serving.
- For a fancier presentation, serve it in mini cups.