This is very delicious and flavorful rice. Perfect for special dinner with friends or just for your family. It may seem a little time consuming, but it’s worth it.
Beef Rice Pilaf With Dry Barberry Berries
- 2 cups rice Uncle Ben’s Long Grain White Rice
- 2 lb beef boneless stew beef
- 4 large carrots
- 2 onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 5 Tbsp barberry dry berries
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 4 cups water hot
- Soak and rinse the rice, at least 2-3 times, then drain.
- Cut beef into 1 inch pieces.
- Peel and cut the carrots into thick matchsticks.
- Peel and dice onion.
- Heat the olive oil in an enameled cast iron dutch oven over a medium heat, add beef.
- Cook beef for one hour on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the beef is fully cooked add onion and soften, stirring regularly for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, spices, salt, pepper, bay leaf and dry berries. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Layer the soaked rice over the top of the beef and vegetables. Peel some of the skin off the garlic head and slice the top off, exposing the garlic cloves. Put raw garlic head on top of the rice.
- Carefully pour hot water over wooden spoon to ensure even distribution over rice. Do not stir.
- Cover with lid. When it starts boiling, remove the lid to let the water almost evaporate.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the rest of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients as you serve the pilaf on a platter. Garnish with garlic head.
This mouth watering venison roast recipe has become our family favorite. We all trying to eat healthy, and this deer meat is naturally low in fat and has no harmful hormones. It is not easy to shop for a deer meat, unless you know a good butcher shop near you, or your husband is a hunter like mine is.
Mouth Watering Venison Roast
- 3-4 lb venison cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large onion diced
- 2 lemons sliced in quarters
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- Mix together 2 gallons of water and 6 Tbsp of salt in a large pot or any food container and place the deer meat in it, add some ice on top and cover with lid. Place it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in the roasting pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until nice and golden.
- Add lemon and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Place the venison into the roasting pan, add white wine and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the heat. Add paprika, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper, and mix well with spatula.
- Place the roasting pan into preheated oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours.